Add a Category Two Funding Request

Post 42 - Add a category two funding request

To request funding for Category Two services — internal connections, managed internal broadband services, and basic maintenance of internal connections — file a separate FCC Form 471 (you cannot request Category One and Category Two services on the same form).

Readers: This post is very similar to Post #34: add a Category One funding request. We are repeating it here, in a separate post, for those of you who are starting with a Category Two funding request.

Start an FCC Form 471 and select Category Two

Start by selecting the “Start FCC Form 471” link in the upper-right corner of your EPC landing page.

Start a 471

For a step-by-step write-up about how to start an FCC Form 471, review these blog posts:

Add a funding request (FRN)

After selecting “Category Two” and reviewing the basic, entity, and discount information, you’ll arrive at the “Funding Requests” section of FCC Form 471. In this part of the form, you will report the details and costs of the eligible products and services that you are requesting E-rate Program discounts for. To add a funding request, start by pressing the green “Add FRN” button.

Funding request key information

The first step is to enter a nickname that is specific, easy to remember, and pertinent to the item you are requesting funding for. For example, “2016 Internal Connections with ABC company” or “2016 basic maintenance of internal connections.”

Application nickname

Select a nickname that is specific and easy to remember.

Continuation of an FRN

The first question you’ll be asked is, “Is this funding request a continuation of an FRN from a previous funding year?” In other words, is this funding request part of a multi-year contract which started in a previous funding year?

If the funding request is not part of a multi-year contract which started in a previous funding year, click “No.”

If it is part of a multi-year contract which started in a previous funding year, click “Yes,” and then enter the FRN previously assigned to the specific products and services purchased under the multi-year contract. You can find this FRN on your Funding Year (FY) 2015 FCC Form 471.

There are two ways to locate this number:

  • (Recommended) Find the number on your FY2015 application using your E-rate Program records (check your FCC Form 471, Funding Commitment Decision Letter (FCDL), or Receipt Acknowledgment Letter (RAL)), or
  • Use the online search tool:
    • Go to the FCC Form 471 download tool and select “2015” and your state from the drop-down menus. Then click “”
    • In the zip file that opens, use the spreadsheet titled “Basic Information and Certifications for FY2015” and filter the list by Billed Entity Number (BEN) or “BE name” to locate your FY2015 application number(s).
    • Take note of your FCC Form 471 application number, and then enter it into the View FY2015 471 Search Tool.
    • Your FRN is located in the third section, titled “Funding Requests.”

Copy FRN

The “Copy FRN” feature allows you to copy an FRN you created on another FY2016 FCC Form 471 and then edit it as necessary.

To copy an FRN, click the “Copy FRN” button. Search for the FRN by entering the FCC Form 471 number or by entering the FRN in the fields provided. Then click, “Search.” Select an FRN from the search results by clicking the box to the left of the FRN, then click “Continue.”

A pop-up message will appear to notify you that copying FRN data may take up to a minute to complete. Click “Yes” to continue.

On the following screen, click the green “Refresh” button. You will receive a message when your FRN has been successfully copied. Click “Continue” to proceed.

FCC rules prohibit the funding of duplicate services, which means two funding requests cannot contain the same services delivered to the same locations for the same timeframe. Remember to edit this copied FRN before submitting your application.

Service type

This one should be pretty easy—simply select the type of service you are requesting funding for from the drop-down menu. You can choose between “Basic Maintenance of Internal Connections,” “Internal Connections,” and “Managed Internal Broadband Services.” Then, click the “Continue” button to move to the next screen.

A webinar recording is available about this topic:

Webinar recording: Category Two Funding Requests (53:19 minutes)

C2 FRNs Webinar Preview

A shorter video about Category Two funding requests (12:53) is available as well.

FRN Contract

After completing the Funding Request key information section of FCC Form 471, you’ll arrive at the “FRN Contract” part of the form. See Post #35: FRN Contracts to learn how to add or associate a contract to your funding request, or Post #36: Tariffed and Month-to-Month Services to complete the “Contracts” section for non-contracted services.

After you enter the funding request (FRN) and purchasing information, you’ll need to add FRN line items. In the next post, we’ll show you how to enter Category Two FRN line items.


  1. How does an applicant request Managed WiFi for their school? This is a comprehensive turney solution all managed by the service provider. What do they enter in as the service name on their 471, wifi, manged wifi, managed internal broadband service – managed wifi?

    • You should enter a managed Wi-Fi solution that is fully overseen by the service provider as “Managed Internal Broadband Services” (MIBS) under the options for “Service Type” on the FCC Form 471 (make sure you select “Category 2” when you start the form).
      The program forms use the term MIBS; however, if you are explaining this service on a narrative, an RFP, or in correspondence with USAC, you can call it either Managed Wi-Fi or MIBS.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *